Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My parking permit with revisions

My Parking Permit
On the back of my car is a license plate, and
A window paired with a wiper.
On the tinted window there is a small sticker
This sticker represents that I am one.
I am one of the 500 people that can park in that lot,
Other people who don’t belong cannot park there.
This lot belongs to St. Paul Academy,
A private college preparatory high school.
This high school that ensures I will be able to go to college,
Other schools do not ensure this
I am guaranteed a future beyond high school
And I am privileged for this

My Parking Permit: Revised
My mom always tells me to “look behind you, not in front,”
It is easy to get caught looking ahead,
I scare myself into thinking I am in the back.
So my mom tells me to look behind myself
Which reminds me I am ahead.
I am ahead.
I am guaranteed an education beyond high school
My college preparatory high school enables me this life.
This privileged life that most people will not see.
I am able to park in a parking lot,
Designed and assigned for students,
Because I have the permit to do so.  

1 comment:

  1. Sarah- thanks for posting both draft and revision. The changes make it much stronger. You shift from telling to showing, particularly w/ the scene and your mother's voice. Then, you shift from that scene to it's symbolic significance, that looking behind you is looking at those less privileged. This poem deserves some workshopping and continued improvement.

    ReplyDelete