Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Chris Martin Poetry

In Chris Martin’s poetry one thing that stood out to me as an audience, is that he uses synecdoche, but more specifically he uses body parts like fingers, hands, and skin to represent the relationships between the characters. I first noticed this in his poem “Time,” he creates this imagery between the characters by saying things like, “swollen fingers,” “we gather fingers into a knot.” Another place where this is seen is in his poem “Surviving Desires,” by stating “in skin as sometimes,” and once again in “The Science Fiction of Color” when he states “find my fingers twittering.” Using this type of device lets the reader see the relationships, and lets the reader create the scene in their head instead of just saying it. He is showing, not telling which in his short stanzas increases the power of his poem. I really enjoyed Matin’s poetry because I found them very intriguing and fascinating to read, I thought it was fun to subconsciously see the devices he used to create the images in my mind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment