Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

Response to Jenkins

After reading and listening to some of Jenkins work I had some questions immediately pop into my head about his writing style. I noticed that when you look at his poem on a page, it almost looks like a paragraph which was very different to Martin’s style. This wasn’t so weird but what really made me curious about his voice, and how he found his voice was when I was listening to him recite his “Fresh Duluth” poem and it sounded very chopped up, you couldn’t tell that when his poems are on paper they look like bricks, but when he speaks it sounds very fluid. Some of the other questions revolved around what his poems want people take away from them. After reading “Foot ball” I was very confused when he transitioned from “I've got a receiver open downfield...What the hell is this? This isn't a football, it's a shoe” and also to “I have eaten pancakes, for instance, with that clear corn syrup on them because there was no maple syrup and they weren't very good.” It was hard for me to find a flow to his poems when I was reading them. This also happened in “the Afterlife” because while it is titled that I found it hard to make the connections to “afterlife” throughout his poem, specifically when he writes “She says, "I was never happy with the way I looked." "The lighting was bad and I was no good at dialogue," he says."I would have liked to have been a little taller," she says.” I found it really hard to see some sort of structure in his poems but maybe that’s because I am on novice level of this poetry video game. I would really enjoy asking him about his voice, style, and intentions of a lot of his poems. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the structure is...subtle. That's why it's prose. You almost need to look across poems to see how he structures them with use of detail, the speaker's responses, a concluding shift to the universal.

    ReplyDelete